"True dedication, but how long can they keep up that level of pace?"

About: Tameside General Hospital / General medicine

(as a friend),

I visited my good friend and neighbour on ward 44 on several occasions during her stay. Each time I was very impressed with all the staff, from medical staff to domestic and porters, nothing was too much trouble for any of them. The care and attention given to patients was excellent.

What I found both disturbing and worrying on the ward she was on was the lack of staff, the nurses and auxiliary nurses seemed to be constantly running around, appearing to do several jobs at once, with seemingly no time for a break. True dedication it appeared to me, but how long can they keep up that level of pace? Worrying I feel.

Response from Philip Dylak, Director of Nursing, Tameside Hospital Foundation Trust

I am pleased that you were impressed with the staff during your visits to your good friend during their stay in hospital and that nothing was too much trouble.

Please be reassured that the wards are staffed to a recognized model, however, there are times when it becomes very busy. The staff on this ward always works very hard and I will pass on your comments to them.

Philip Dylak

Director of Nursing

Would you like to help the hospital to improve its services further? We are currently looking for patients and carers to become involved in a development called “Patient Stories”. We want to know more about our services from the point of view of those who received them – what was good, bad, what could be improved, what should be changed. Want to know more about what’s involved?

Please contact Philip Dylak, Director of Nursing at philip.dylak@tgh.nhs.uk