"Upto going to the ward all was good, the..."

About: Luton & Dunstable Hospital

When the evening meal was served on the ward on the day of my operation, I was only offered the meal (Halal) which the previous occupant, who had since been discharged, had chosen. I was not offered an alternative and consequently had to wait until breakfast for a meal. By the time of the evening meal I had already been nearly 24 hours without food due to fasting prior to the operation.

I found the constant noise from the 5 other televisions in the bay very disturbing, creating a constant audible irritation that was impossible to block out. Also, the person in the bed next to me continued to watch television until one o clock in the morning, and despite him using the headphones, I was still able to hear a disturbing background noise.

As a result of this, I made all possible efforts to be discharged as rapidly as possible.

Finally, it was not easy to speak to staff in a private or confidential manner.

Response from Luton & Dunstable Hospital

Thank you for your comment and we are pleased to hear that your treatment was successful. With regard to the food, we have passed your comments to our Catering Department. As to your experience of noise on the ward, we endeavour to keep noise to a minimum and have ensured that your comments have been passed directly to the Matron of the Ward, together with your comment on feeling unable to have a confidential conversation.