"Sadly disappointing"

About: John Radcliffe Hospital

My daughter was delivered safely and you cannot put a price on that, obviously. I was also lucky enough to get my own room with private bathroom, (though I feel this may have been because I am a hospital employee).

The hospital was generally clean and my birthing midwife, (although a trainee), was very friendly.

All pain relief and eventual forceps delivery were handled very efficiently and quickly.

- My biggest bug bear with JR maternity is that I only found out months after my stay that there was a drop-in breastfeeding clinic in the same building I was staying in (for 5 days). When I mentioned some minor difficulties with breastfeeding, this wasn't even mentioned, despite me being more than able to take myself along.

In fact, what happened is that a healthcare assistant forced me to instead supplement my daughters feeds with formula, a habit we were never able to break away from and consequently my milk dried up completely when she was just 4 months old.

This was in complete contrast to Government guidelines at the time and something I felt I was made to feel very embaraased about when my community midwife first visited. To know that I could have dropped in to see a specialist infuriates me to this day, a year later!

- during my stay I was made to move the entirety of my belongings to another room on the ward and then back again the next day with no satisfactory explanation.

- I felt very isolated on the ward (a floor of indiviual rooms - "Spires"), and it was very difficult to find help when I needed it. The place seemed bereft of staff. Although I appreciate national shortages, I am forunate not to have experienced a real emergency.

- being very anaemic post-birth I was told a doctor would visit me. They did - 3 days later and stayed for 5 minutes.

I write this feedback with a heavy heart. I am a fierce champion of the NHS and of the JR, but I also believe that change cannot come without knowledge.

Response from John Radcliffe Hospital

The Oxford University Hospital NHS Trust is currently reviewing historic comments placed on NHS Choices and we note you made a comment in 2011 which was not responded to. The Trust takes both positive and negative feedback recieved from patients, or their families, seriously and, whenever possible, we use any learning gained to improve the service we provide. Should you wish to contact the Trust regarding this comment or any other service you have received since, please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on palsjr@ouh.nhs.uk or telephone 01865 221473.