"The nursing staff were caring and professional"

About: Rotherham Hospital / General surgery

My operation went well, I understand that the anaesthetist, bless him, made sure I know nothing about it!

In recovery, I was well cared for, and transfer to B4 was painless and professional. The nursing staff made sure I had adequate pain relief and made careful observations.

I had a reasonably good night’s sleep and, the following morning, the surgeon declared that I was well enough to go home. I left at about 2:30pm.

The nursing staff were all very caring and professional; the doctors and consultants were all very kind and explained the procedures very well.

The only criticism I have is the long time spent in theatre reception. I arrived at 7:15am and was operated on around 1pm.

Response from Rebecca Allinson, Associate Director, Corporate Relations, Rotherham Hospital

Dear Forward966

Thank you for your comments and I will share your feedback with the staff involved in your care.

With regard to your one criticism about your wait in our Theatre Admissions Unit (TAU), I will make sure this is highlighted to the Manager of the service.

I am aware that similar concerns have already been raised and whilst the TAU has improved the overall experience, meaning patients do not need to stay overnight before surgery, we are always looking at ways to improve both the length of wait and also the experience whilst you wait.

With best wishes