"Catheter fitted at RDGH came apart during the night"

About: Rotherham Hospital Rotherham PCT / Continence service

I have been a patient twice on Fitwell Ward at the RDGH. The nurses bring tablets round and take blood pressure readings but we can sit for hours without anyone to talk to.

I was fitted with a catheter ten minutes before discharge. It was a male catheter and the connection was wrong and came apart during the night. Something needs to be improved.

The continence perscription service is excellent.

Response from Rebecca Allinson, Associate Director, Corporate Relations, Rotherham Hospital

Dear green407

I would like to thank you for your posting and bringing your comments to our attention and I am sorry to hear of your poor experience with the catheter fitting.

We do have a standardised approach to catheter selection for routine use throughout the Trust, we utilise ‘male standard length’ catheters routinely. Please be assured that this has no difference in terms of the connectivity to a leg or night bag. On occasion it has been found that if the connection is laid on and gets warm there can be expansion of the tubes which can on occasion if pulled lead to leaks. The main difference between standard male and female catheters is the length of the tube (males being longer) which usually provides extra flexibility when moving or sleeping.

If you would like to talk to us in more detail, please do call our Patient Services team on 01709 304461.

With best wishes