"Information given on broken pelvis"

About: Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) / Accident and emergency

Five months ago I broke a bone in my pelvis following a riding accident. At the time I did not know I'd broken a bone, but I had a deep cut at the site of the injury, and was in pain, so was taken to A&E by my sister.

After being x-rayed, the broken bone was discovered. My first question was 'how long will this take to heal?', and the response i was given was 'six weeks'. I was given no further information, and no suggestion of where to go for further information. Five months down the line, I've discovered that six weeks was the time it would take for basic bone fusion to take place. I was still on crutches at 8 weeks, and only now am beginning to return to 'normal', though still have problems with the soft tissue damage around the injury site.

I had to make arrangements for others to help me with day to day arrangements, such as walking the dogs, and as I'd been told I'd be healed in six weeks, these were made short term. As time went on, it soon became apparent that I'd need help for longer, but not having accurate information to give an idea on when I'd be more mobile made this very difficult. Also, psychologically, I found it very tough not knowing how long I needed to prepare myself mentally to be out of action. When six weeks came and went and I was still dependent on others and on crutches, and had been expecting to be well on the way to recovery, I found it very hard. Follow up appointments provided a little further information, though it was very little.

Had someone told me, or given me access to information, to let me know it would be 12 weeks before the bone would be strong, that there would be soft tissue damage that would take time to heal, and general information so I knew what happened as part of the healing process, I would have found it far easier to manage and deal with.