"upsetting, traumatic and left with an..."

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

Antenatal care at the Peartree clinic was very good. Sonographer was nice as were the midwives.

Commumity midwives were excellent.

Communication and staffing levels.

I have written directly to the Maternity Unit and have since received an apology for the care me and my new born baby received. What concerns me is the posting from a lady who had her baby towards the end of 2010 (response from the Hospital Dec 2010). My baby was born in January 2010 - I wrote to the hospital to complain about our treatment, including massive mis-communication regarding discharge i.e. midwives said I could go home and I wasn't told that I couldn't until 9pm! It seems that the lady who posted her problems suffered exactly the same issue, more than six months after the issue had been raised with the hospital.

I have since been told that changes will occur to prevent this kind of distressing mis-communication but have little confidence in these assurances.CommunicationPatient careStaffing LevelMaternity

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

We're sorry that you had this experience when you gave birth at the QEII recently. We are pleased, however, that you complained because it is very important that such issues are addressed for the benefit of all women using our maternity service. To help with, we will make sure that our midwifery team gets to read your comments.