"Implanon removal"

About: Rotherham PCT / Contraception and sexual health

i'm a 21 year old mum of one, and had the implant fitted not long after the birth of my daughter. Since having it fitted, i've noticed i'm gaining weight and suffering from the worst mood swings i've ever had - i wasnt this hormonal and miserable while battling pregnancy hormones! I was on the pill before i fell pregnant and didnt have any side effects at all. So i'm now wanting to have my implant removed and go back on the pill.

I have to say i'm being made to feel like a criminal because i want the Implanon removed. I've had to see a doctor twice to 'discuss why i want it taken out' as if i dont have a choice or the ability to make my own decisions. Also trying to make appointments to fit around work is a nightmare!

I appreciate the implant is a successful form of contraception BUT its a womans choice about which contraceptive she wants to use. And to be made to feel guilty because i dont want something that isnt suiting me makes me really mad with rotherham nhs!

Its not up to anyone but me whether i want it removing because i want another baby or because i want to try another contraceptive - so why should i have to go over my own reasons time and time again to have it removed?

Response from Grace Oldfield, Patient Involvement Manager, Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust

Dear KatieLouise89, Thank you for taking the time to post on Patients Opinion. I was sorry to hear about your recent experience of one of our services. We would be keen to look into this for you and if you would like us to do this, then perhaps you would either contact me direct on 01709 423280 (out of office after today until 7th February) to discuss or contact me via my email address on: grace.oldfield@rotherham.nhs.uk or you could contact our PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) team direct on 01709 423030 who will also be able to help you. Kind regards, Grace