"Great service from all involved"

About: Emergency ambulance service (Wiltshire) The Great Western Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was taken to GWR Hospital in Swindon by Ambulance , to A & Dept as an emergency Patient ( I should point out that I have M.S, for 40yrs, totally dependant on an electric wheelchair to get around).

I awoke at 2.30 am in excruciating pain in the kidney area, due to the fact that I had been unable to pass urine for approximately 30 hrs. I hung on till 8am purely because I knew that if I phoned the Drs, it would be the out of hours service, & they come & assess the situation & would have sent me to the nearest Hospital, which would have been the RUH Bath.

At 8.02 I rang the surgery & spoke with the sister. At 8.10 an ambulance arrived, with two very nice Paramedics, who got me to Swindon in Record time. At A& E they where expecting me, thanks to pre-arrangement with the surgery. They had informed the Hospital of the situation, I was taken straight to cubicles where upon the service was second to none. Within minutes I was assessed, a Dr was called, he relived the offfend problem, I felt absolutely no pain what so ever, due to them having prior to his arrival administered large quantities of pain relief. I was given local anesthetics, he wheeled his scalpel and 25 mins after arriving I had a catheter installed.

I was cleaned up & made very comfortable. I was then transferred to a ward where great trouble was taken to make me comfortable. I was discharged on the Friday morning, with all the necessary medications etc, to allow me to come home & my team of care assistants took over.

I have been in many hospitals in various counties over the years but I can honestly say the treatment at Swindon & the quality of meals has to rate on a scale of 1-10 somewhere in the region of 15. Alas I will have to go back as a day patient due to other complications, that where not obvious. This could result in some rather nasty surgery & unpleasant prodding & pokings by the medical staff but I know that the attention I receive there will be Second to none. I don’t think you could receive better service & attention if you where a private patient in an expensive clinic. In my 40 yrs Experience of hospital stays Swindon's got to rate N0.1 for Service, care & quality of meals.

Response from Patrick Mulcahy, Head of Clinical Development, Great Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience of our service. I am pleased that your immediate problems were swiftly resolved to a very high standard and that our paramedics played a part in the treatment provided. It is heartening to receive positive comments from service users whose needs span many aspects of the health service, and I will ensure that I pass on your comments to colleagues at the hospital