"Paramedics have been brilliant"

About: Avon And Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust / Crisis resolution Emergency ambulance service (Wiltshire)

I have mental health issues.

On a number of occasions that an ambulance has been sent out to me due to lack of mental health care the majority of the time the paramedics have been brilliant - it is the aftercare that has always been a problem.

If the mental health crisis team would do their job properly then the paramedics would not have to pick up the pieces so often.

Response from Patrick Mulcahy, Head of Clinical Development, Great Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Thank you for the feedback on our service. Our paramedics are trained to respond professionally to a wide range of health issues and I am pleased that when you have felt the need to call us we have able to provide the care to meet your needs. We try to work in partnership with other parts of the health service, and if you feel that your local mental health crisis team have not proved the care you require, then I am sure they would like the opportunity to understand how they can improve matters for you, if you wish to contact them

Response from Alison Griffin, Head of Engagement and Responsiveness Department, Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust

Dear Benny,

I am sorry that you feel the mental health team do not provide you with the right support for your needs which leads to frequent admissions and I hope through your posting we can ensure that someone is able to visit you and agree a plan with you to help you. It would be useful to review with you how you feel we could better support you after an admission but also plan for what support is available to you at times of crisis to prevent you having to be admitted. I appreciate at times of crisis such frustration can be difficult to tolerate and is very distressing.

My name is Justine Faulkner and I am the new clinical director for Adult community mental health services provided by Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust.

It would be helpful to have some further details so that I can further understand your issues and make contact with your team. Alternatively you might prefer to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who could contact your care coordinator for you and will be able to help to ensure that your concerns are heard and allow us to make things work more smoothly for you in the future. PALS can be contacted on free phone no 0800 073 1770 or 01249 468261 or by email to pals@awp.nhs.uk

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.