"Too many managers with no undersyanding..."

About: Northern General Hospital

I am also an employee of the NHS and am aware of some of the difficulties. The front end of the hospital was fine - this is where the targets are concentrated and where the managers try to make the place look good.

I brought my daughter in for a problem with a wound infection. We were seen by a junior who was obviously less experienced than the referring GP, given an incorrect antibiotic and sent home. What would have been appropriate was surgical referral and drainage of the abscess. Hospital admission was later required.

The good parts were the smiling faces and reasonably efficient processing by clerks.

I had the impression that underneath the public relations front, background services (pathology, referrals for consultation) are not efficient or staffed with experienced personnel. This led to wrong treatment and worsening infection.

Response from Northern General Hospital

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent hospital experience, we are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your daughters treatment. We would like to look into your concerns further and would be grateful if you could contact the patient services team on 0114 271 2400 or email pst@sth.nhs.uk to provide more information.