"Professional service which has almost..."

About: Chapel Allerton Hospital

I've just been discharged from a course of physiotherapy and was very happy with the service I received. I was being treated for lower back pain and severe sciatica. My first appointment was a cancellation only a few days after my GP referred me. The physio observed my movement and prescribed a set of exercises that freed the muscle spasm and had me walking upright almost immediately. Over the following couple of months I have visited CAH several more times, with the therapy and exercises changing each time as I got better. My pain levels have gone from an excruciating 8/10 to a barely noticeable 1 or 2; I am no longer incapacitated and I am back at work. This is down to the help of my physio and keeping up the exercises he gave me.

Sometimes the intervals between appointments were a bit long (3-4 weeks) during which time I suffered one or two relapses. This is not the fault of the physiotherapist but I wish now that I'd got in touch as soon as I had the setback, rather than waiting for the next appointment.

Response from Administrative Support Assistant, NHS Leeds

Thank you for sharing your story on Patient Opinion and I am sorry for the delay in responding.

It was good to hear that your physiotheraphy treatment has reduced your pain levels, and about your positive experience of the service at Chapel Allerton Hospital.

Response from NHS Leeds

Message from Julie Rogers, Head of Musco-skeletal and Rehabilitation Services from Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust:

'Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our service. We really value the comments we receive from patients, and this fantastic feedback for the service.

I note your concerns about what can be improved - we agree that we need to make it clearer to patients that if they feel they are deteriorating or need further advice whilst awaiting their next appointment, that they can contact the physiotherapist and either speak on the telephone and gain advice or arrange an earlier appointment. We have, therefore, taken on board your comments and will be using these to improve the way we communicate with patients.’