"Smoking at Wathwood by Jono"

About: Wathwood Hospital

I think it's a shabby affair that we are not allowed to smoke at Wathwood.If we smoke in the courtyard it won’t affect anybody.

I would like to know why we can’t smoke when it’s personal choice, we are supposed to be patients not prisoners

Why can’t we smoke on escorted visits with staff?

I have been a smoker for 30 years

Response from Involvement Team , Involvement & Experience, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Jono

We are always interested to hear all opinions even if they raise issues that need further explanation.

I will contact Wathwood staff and ask if they can provide more information and an explanation to the smoking restrictions you are experiencing.

There will be another response to your question shortly.

Thank you for your posting.

Wathwood is part of Nottinghamshire health care and promotes a smoke free environment, this is inclusive of Rampton and Arnold Lodge hospitals who are all smoke free.

As staff we recognise that stopping smoking can be a very stressful time therefore staff have been trained in helping people stop.

We also provide smoking aids in the form of patches inhalers and lozenges prescribed by our medics.

With regards to smoking on leaves escorting staff are still in their place of work whilst escorting and should not be exposed to smoke whilst carrying out their job.

Whilst I recognise your point of view, it is our intention to promote a smoke free hospital environment as the health benefits are significant.

Thanks for you posting