"Midwifery is an ancient and honourable..."

About: North Middlesex Hospital

Midwifery is an ancient and honourable profession, it appears in the oldest known writings. For as long as women have become pregnant, others have stepped in with compassion to help.

The midwives and matrons at North Middlesex University Hospital have this quality in abundance and have my deepest admiration.

Midwifery is one of the most difficult of arts and while compassion provides their motive, it is knowledge that is their working power. One area where knowledge is of paramount importance is when a midwife is attending to a woman in labour refusing a blood transfusion. On behalf of many, many women who have been in the hands of the midwives at North Mid: in this situation, I say thank you so much for your compassion and knowledge that has enabled you to adapt to this challenging situation.

Brian J Brooks.

Response from North Middlesex Hospital

We at the North Mid strive to put patients’ first in everything we do. Improving the experience of our patients is the number one priority for the hospital and we are pleased to hear that you were happy with the care you received. We will share this feedback with the department concerned.