About: Luton & Dunstable Hospital

I was 22 weeks pregnant and suffering from a sharp abdominal pain. I am a first time mother so wanted to be sure my baby was ok. I rang the ward and they asked me to come in, I was then left on a bed for 3 hours before I was seen by a registrar, I was not informed about anything during this time and instead sat there listening to the nurses talk on their mobile phones and amongst themselves about how short staffed the maternity unit is and how ceasarian sections are being performed without the required amount of staff!!! Finally after the long 3 hour wait a registrar came to see me, they had no identification on them and just a tatty old sticker with their name on! They were very unsympathetic and unhelpful and more interested in my past medical history (Which was completely unrelated to the pregnancy or pain I was experiencing) than the fact that I had been in pain for 6 hours and was worried about my baby. It took a further hour for them to give me pain relief, no diagnoses was given to me and I was discharged with no answers for the pain!

I found via the internet it was round ligament pain that is very common in pregnancy.... Surely this is something I should have been informed about by the registrar!!!

Response from Luton & Dunstable Hospital

In order to look into your concerns further we would ask if you could contact us - call 0845 127 0 127 and ask for the Maternity Unit. We regret any delay that you experienced.