"Surely the same rule should apply"

About: Ashley House / Substance Misuse Service

(as a service user),

I had been doing really well on my Subutex prescription, but I had a lapse. In my view, I was told if this happened again I would be taken off Subutex or I would have to go on Methadone.

It seems to me that it is ok to have a lapse on Methadone but not Subutex, surely the same rule should apply to both.

Around here being on Methadone can be quite stigmatising, but with Subutex this is a lot less. I don't want to go on Methadone as I would see this as a step backwards.

Response from Philip Gibson, Team Manager, Community Drugs Team

Thank you for your response.

I have discussed your posting with one of the Doctors in Ashley House and he confirms that any decisions made regarding medication used are primarily based on safe prescribing and as such we follow national guidelines for this,we do however always try to take into account the preference and views of our service users.It would be helpful for you if you disscused any issues with your worker at your next appointment.

It is also difficult to comment on an individual case such as yours as a detailed history is needed about drug use,relapse frequency etc.This is especially important with Subutex as it does partially block the effects of opioids if someone is using in addition to their prescription