"More people should know about CBT"

About: Hampshire PCT Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust / Specialised services

Following the death of my grandmother in 2004, it took me the best part of 3years to overcome depression. I was 14 and it wasn't till I was 17 that I felt I could put my demons behind me.

Following a successful A Level results, I started a degree in social work in 2008. The first year went by stress free but by the time I moved in to second year, it became clear something was wrong. I didn't feel depressed but I was always worrying about everyone and everything. I would worry when there was nothing to worry about and that was just plain annoying. I began to develop nervous habits such as chewing the skin off my fingers , making them sore, I even developed IBS.

I decided to visit my GP who was sympathetic but suggested we try other routes before medication. He advised me of Cognitive behavioural therapy delivered via the surgery by a mental health worker. I was skeptical at first as I pictured lying on a sofa, going on about my woes. Thankfully, it wasn't like that, the session enabled me to put my worries into perspective and workout what triggers them, thus forming a plan to help me.

Now following discharge, I am on the way to completing my degree and have stuck with CBT resources such as workbooks that I regularly consult. Of course I still have the odd bad day but I believe this service has got me on the path to recovery.

The only suggestion I would make is better awareness of such services. Until my Gp recommended it, I didn't realise the service existed and I think many people will benefit from it.

Response from Diane Parmee, Consumer Experience and Engagement Officer, Consumer Experience and Engagement Team, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to give us this detailed feedback of your experience of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and that the public should be made more aware of this.

We will ensure that it is passed on to the relevant staff in the Trust.