"Rat infested garden communal area"

About: Inpatient mental health care (Lewisham) University Hospital Lewisham

In my numerous times of visiting the Ladywell unit, I have noticed many areas that I feel need attention, but despite my complaints nothing has been done.

My current concern is that there are rats infesting the garden area. This is a family orientated unit, and so this is a health and safety matter. The vermin are the size of a shoe of size 11, running free all over the lower hospital. Now something has to be done!

Response from Su Glazier, Head of Improvement, Innovations and Involvement, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear don’t play,

Thank you for alerting us to this problem in the grounds. We will give this issue urgent attention. We will post a fuller reply to you in due course."

Best wishes,

Response from Patrick Gillespie, Service Director, Psychosis Clinical Academic Group, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Don't Play,

Thank you very much for alerting us to the problem of rats in the Ladywell Unit garden and apologies for the delay in replying to your posting.

The Estates and Facilities Manager at the Ladywell Unit has confirmed that there are occasional sightings of vermin in the garden which is very close to the Ravensbourne river. However, there have been no sightings more recently. I can confirm that the Unit has a contract with a pest control company which visits regularly and will deal any vermin in the garden when they appear.

I would like to reassure you that in addition to the regular visits by the pest control company, any sightings are always reported immediately and attended to without delay. If patients and visitors to the Ladywell Unit report sightings to senior staff on the wards, appropriate action will be taken.

Thank you for your concern.

Best wishes,