"Dark Days - Bright Future"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Adult mental health (inpatient)

(as a service user),

Since the late 1960s, when I was still a teenager, I have suffered from Mental Health problems. The nature of my illness known then as ‘Obsessional Neurosis’ (now OCD) including eating disorder ‘Anorexia Nervosa’ and severe depression.

During the 1970s I was hospitalised on three occasions for several months each time, finally being discharged in the spring of 1982. Following my discharge (after becoming institutionalised) as an in-patient as it was then known as Mapperley Hospital I received no follow-up whatsoever.

Living alone in the ‘real’ world I felt very vulnerable and I didn’t ever go out except to work and shop for food. Recently, in May this year (30/40 years later) I stumbled ‘by accident’ across the ‘Involvement Centre’ at ‘Duncan Macmillan House’. Since then and attending regularly I have never looked back. Everyone there, the staff, service users, carers and volunteers are all so positive, warm and caring as well as fun loving and I find this so therapeutic.

It makes me wonder how I managed to survive the last 30-40 years.

The Involvement Centre at Duncan Macmillan House is simply wonderful!

Thank you so much for sharing your story of hope on Patient Opinion.

I will pass on your comments to the people you have mentioned. I am sure they will be delighted to hear that the centre is having such a positive impact on your recovery. I wish you every success in your journey and appreciate you taking the time to tell others about how Involvement is changing your life.

Best Wishes