"Out of the blue last Saturday morning,..."

About: Bedford Hospital South Wing

Out of the blue last Saturday morning, 14th August, I lost consciousness and collapsed. My wife called the Emergency Services.

After just a few moments I was in an ambulance, on a cardiac monitor, and on my way to South Wing, where I was admitted to the Acute Assessment Unit.

During Saturday night I was constantly attended by nurses and doctors from AAU.

On Sunday morning I was transferred to the Chest Care Unit. Whilst on a cardiac monitor there, my heart stopped for beating for 15 seconds, and a team was summoned to insert a temporary pacing wire. The entire team was fantastic, and the care when I was returned to the CCU was quite outstanding.

On Monday, a permanent Pacemaker was inserted by another team, and again, every member of this team was reassuring and caring.

At 8am on Tuesday morning the surgeon checked my condition. At 10am I had a chest X-ray. At 5pm the Pacemaker itself was checked. As all the checks showed everything was OK, I was able to be discharged, and I was home again by 7pm.

I do not believe that a better, or more caring, service would have been available anywhere in the world, or at any price. Yet when I thanked the individuals, the response to a man (or woman) was the same- “I was just doing my job”.

Nothing, everyone was fantastic

Response from Bedford Hospital South Wing

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Bedford Hospital's NHS Choices site. We are really pleased to hear that your experience at Bedford Hospital was a positive one. We will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the staff involved in your care.