"I had a total right knee replacement at..."

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow)

I had a total right knee replacement at PAH , having previously had my left knee replaced there. I had the same consultant on both occasions. I entered the Hospital at 7am, was operated on between 1pm and 3pm, was up sitting in a chair that evening and was able to enjoy the first semi-final of the World cup on television. The physiotherapists had me walking on crutches the following day and I was discharged before 4pm on Friday 9Jul10.

It is now three weeks since I entered the hospital. I have had my clips removed, the bruising and swelling has reduced and I am able to walk fairly long distances. I have no pain in my right knee but still experience some pain in my right hip although that has diminished and is probably partly due to a change in my walking pattern.

I would like to thank the consultant, Surgeons and all the staff who dealt with me during my period in Hospital, both before and after the operation. During my recovery I was treated throughout with consideration and dignity. The staff, who were busy, were always cheerful and confident and made my stay as pleasant as I could expect.

I was less impressed with the Admissions Unit. Only one person could deal with me and if that person was not in the office I had to get back in touch (leaving messages for me to be contacted did not work). Also money could have been saved on at least one visit to the pre-assessment unit. That said I have no complaint.

Response from Princess Alexandra Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your patient experience of our hospital. We note your comments about the Admissions Unit and have passed these to the appropriate manager.