"Very unhappy with my maternity care"

About: Bedford Hospital South Wing / Maternity care

When I had my son, I was induced 1 week early due to concerns over his size. I went into the day-unit at Cygnet wing at 9.00am and was allowed home. I arrived at delivery suite at 2pm, and was then promtly left for 3 hours.

A different midwife saw me for my next check-up and she left. Around 30 minutes later another different midwife came and asked how I was. I was then introduced to my final midwife (although she left for very long periods of time too).

To say I had a traumatic birth would be an understatement and I felt the level of care I received was atrocious (especially as they knew of my past history and how terified I was).

I made a complaint to the delivery suite manager and had a meeting with her. I raised my concerns and she was very apologetic (we had proof of neglect). However, when she wrote back to me, I felt the lies and conflicting feedback was appalling.

I for one will never return to this hospital.

Response from Joe O'Dell, Communications & Marketing Assistant, Communications & Marketing, Bedford Hospital NHS Trust

I am sorry to hear of the issues faced during your maternity care, and although there were steps taken to rectify the issue after it happened, I understand that the written confirmation you received after your meeting was not satisfactory.

Although this incident was a while ago, if you still wish to raise a concern, please contact our PALS team via email to PALS@bedfordhospital.nhs.uk, telephone to 01234 795 814 or write a letter to: PALS, Bedford Hospital NHS Trust, Kempston Road, Bedford, MK42 9DJ

Thank you for sharing your experience at Bedford.