"I was appalled"
About: Northern General Hospital Northern General Hospital Sheffield S5 7AU
Posted by guydanton (as ),
Today, I visited a very close friend of mine in the Northern General (Sheffield)
I was utterly appalled by the majority of the staff.
1. Despite being in major surgery the day before, (cancer removal) my friends medications were not delivered at the correct time but that is just the start....
Their medications finally arrived at 2.45pm (should have been there at 12pm on a four hourly cycle....
2. The person dispensing drugs had to ask the patient (who was under the influence of heavy morphine doses) what drugs they thought they should be having.
3. With reference to item two, they had to ask twice. IE The member of staff administering the drugs seemed to have no idea who should be having what and when.
4. My friend then tried to talk to staff regarding future drug administration and their concerns were almost ignored with regard to the timing/dosage/distribution of drugs/medication.
5. This happened to my friend but I believe I also saw several similar instances of similar regarding other patients drug administration.
While I'm 100% aware that there are many, many people working in the NHS who are caring/competent/able to do the job, it would appear there are also many who are not.