"Upset by lack of care in St Thomas' post-natal ward"
About: St Thomas' Hospital / Maternity care St Thomas' Hospital Maternity care SE1 7EH
Posted by Sadmother (as ),
I underwent an emergency c-section at St Thomas's hospital in London last year. My experience of post natal care was so bad I have had to undergo counselling and I am reluctant to try for another baby. It took me 10 months to bond with my daughter.
- I was given a sponge bath at early one morning by two women who did not introduce themselves or explain what they were doing. I was so roughly handled I felt like an animal.
- I had to beg for pain relief - at one stage I went 6 hours before someone brought me some paracetemol (and this was 18 hours after a c-section)
- I couldn't pick up my baby when she was crying and there was no response when I pressed the bell.
- When I asked for help breastfeeding the midwife shrugged and said "try whatever you like" and walked away.
- I couldn't walk but no one brought me any food at mealtimes.
- I had no water within reach (despite asking many times).
- I received no advice on caring for my baby, looking after my c-section scar or general recovery.
I am crying just thinking about how awful I found the midwives who treated me during my stay. It was the worst experience of my life and it devastates me that the rude and uncaring staff I met have left me resentful towards my daughter and reluctant to set foot in an NHS maternity ward ever again.