"Some of the nursing staff were ..."

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow)

Some of the nursing staff were very friendly and helpful. The staff in A&E were also good, although not always entirely sure what was going on.

Communication between doctors. I was told by one that I would need a certain treatment, and another that I would not, which led to great confusion about when I could go home, if i'd have to stay in etc. I also heard the nursing staff say they were prepring my treatment, only to be told it was unnecessary.

I did not at all like the way that at change over time for the staff, the team coming on were taken round the emergency admissions unit and told, outloud, so that the whole ward could hear, your name, age and why you were there. Not everyone needs to know that.

I am not from the Harlow area and so had no preconceptions about the hospital. I was treated with respect, for the most part and there are some very good members of staff, but issues of privacy and communication definately need to be addressed.

Response from Princess Alexandra Hospital

Whilst pleased to note that you found some nursing staff friendly and helpful, we were disappointed by your other comments. We will ensure the staff in Accident and Emergency are informed of your kind words. Should you wish to discuss the matter of privacy and communication in more detail please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on telephone 01279 827211 or email: pals@pah.nhs.uk.