"Locality, and ease of entry"

About: Pinderfields General Hospital

Locality, and ease of entry

Patient liaison. Time kept waiting ridiculous, Lack of information

Was kept waiting for 3 hours in A&E after initial assessment for badly infected ecxema had been made. Then taken to 'Acute Assessment unit'. Given medicines and then discharged at 7pm on Sunday 16th May 2010. Was told that my medicines to take home would be brought to me which didn't arrive, and when enquiring was then told that the dispensary was closed after 12 noon on Sundays. I had already asked 1 hour before and was told that my medicines would be there shortly, why couldn't they tell me that the dispensary was closed then. Was then asked to return the next day for my medicines. I was kept for 3 hours waiting for medicines that I couldn't have got due to the dispensary being closed. Approximately 10 staff were laughing and chatting about going out drinking with their friends all gathered round a desk shouting and laughing. Not professional whatsoever. All in all i was in the hospital for 11 and a half hours, which could have been reduced drastically with a little care, attention and listening to the patients.

Response from Pinderfields General Hospital

We clearly need to apologise for the communication problems described in relation to pharmacy. With regard to the wating time in A&E, patients are triaged according to the urgency of their condition. The target is to ensure all patients are seen within 4 hours, which was met on this occasion.