"The hospital appears to be clean."

About: Darent Valley Hospital

The hospital appears to be clean.

My mother has been in Spruce and Beech Wards for the past three weeks after being admitted following a fall which resulted in a mild stroke. One the whole I have found her to be in a distressed state at visiting times, mainly because she is left for long periods in a chair without access to a buzzer to call staff. One day she she was so relieved to see me as she had been left in a thin nightie close to an open window. The buzzer was nowhere to be seen and she had been sitting in a puddle of her own soil. The next day she had a urinary tract infection. The nursing staff appeared to be unconcerned.

I expect the Wards are understaffed but its no excuse for neglecting an old lady who is not senile and feels that no-body cares. I am so angry and unimpressed with your hospital.

Response from Darent Valley Hospital

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry indeed that you and your mother have had such a poor experience. I have passed your comments to the matron and ward sisters involved so that they can address these issues with the staff. I know they will be as concerned as you are to improve things for your mother.

Jenny Kay