"This is how it should be done and it was!"

About: Perth Royal Infirmary / Cardiology Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

PRI Emergency visit

I am compelled to write.

My experience from the above visit was for myself and wife one of the most exemplary and professional outcomes to an event which started with such uncertainty.

Experienced for the first time Saturday, the chest pains encountered at home around 10. 00 pm, relaxing in front of the TV resulted in a call to NHS 24. From their advice and initiation they instructed an ambulance.. The ambulance arrived within 3 minutes. The crew were confident, courteous and professional throughout. Their attitude to me and my care through the short journey was exemplary, which included my need for the use of a sick bowl. (not because of the driving! )

On arrival at A&E PRI I was registered with what seemed to me to be exclusive attention. Note this was Saturday night in Perth! I was attended both professionally and timely. Again the personal care by all concerned from porter, nursing staff and doctor was exemplary.

I was moved to CCU ward 5 where once again I was ‘welcomed’, and I use this word deliberately, into another caring experience. My stay here was medicated, fully wired and personally monitored, throughout Saturday night. Relatively speaking I had a comfortable night. The night staff need congratulated. Sunday morning began early with the introduction of a change of my ‘personal’ staff carers / members! This lead to further discussions with doctors at all levels, up to and including the consultant Dr Currie. Note this was Sunday! – the weekend. Up to this point I’d had an x-ray, blood tests, much personal assurance and all the technical results for the consultant’s visit Sunday 10. 00am – 12 hours from leaving my house!

I was given by the consultant and team a clear understanding of my ‘picture’ with outcomes past and present which made my future not just clear but very satisfactory. It wasn’t conclusive but communicated a clear and rational path ahead, which will include further preventative investigation with an Angiogram at Ninewells within four weeks.

I was discharged by approx 2. 00pm Sunday, to a place light years away from my entry into ‘the system’; and what a system. Special (to me), professional throughout, by all concerned from ambulance crew cleaner to porters, nursing and auxiliary staff to doctors, pharmacy, consultant and admin; working together to what I can easily summarize as professional and exemplary. I left with my notes passed on and a letter to my GP.

All this and not one penny passed my hands. Oh so well done NHS Tayside and on behalf of my wife and family we thank you! This is how it should be done and it was!

In conclusion, I would appreciate this letter of thanks and satisfaction being communicated to all concerned – too many to name personally; they know who they are; a great team.

Response from Alison Moss, Feedback Manager, NHS Tayside

Dear “jackst1”

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of care when you were admitted to Perth Royal Infirmary as an emergency. I was delighted to hear that from the time of your call to NHS 24 on the Saturday to your discharge on the Sunday everyone worked together to ensure a seamless patient experience. It is also wonderful for our staff, who always strive to provide the best care experience possible, to receive recognition for this and I will ensure your thanks are conveyed to them.

We are indeed very fortunate to have access to the NHS and the success of this very much relies on all of our staff working together.

I hope you are recovering and that all goes well with your further investigations.

Kind regards.