"The entire experience left her deeply upset"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow Scottish Ambulance Service / Patient Transport Service

My 82 year old mother had an appointment at the neurology clinic at the hospital. She had booked patient transport who had told her to be ready for pick up at half ten (the appointment itself was at after 12). She waited two and a half hours and eventually had to get a taxi and arrive late for the appointment. While that in itself was unacceptable, her appointment only made matters worse due to the staff's ill mannered attitude and cursory treatment. The entire experience left her deeply upset.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear anned

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. I am sorry to read about what happened with your mother's appointment for the neurology clinic.

Your mother should not have been treated in the way that you describe and I am sorry for this. I will pass on your feedback to the Neurology department and ask them to come back to you on Patient Opinion with an update.

Best wishes
Lisa

Response from Pat O'Meara, National Head of Ambulance Control Services, Ambulance Control Centres, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear anned,

I was very sorry to read about your mother's wait for her ambulance transport. It must have been very frustrating and upsetting for her.

Could I ask you to contact me so that I can look in to this for her and you? It will allow me to give an explanation as to what happened and also to ensure that if she has future appointments that everything is in place for her to make sure that her ambulance transport arrangements are all in place.

My contact number is 0141 810 6101 or please email me at scotamb.accadmin@nhs.net

Pat