"My son's ambulance and hospital experience"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Bones, joint and fractures Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

(as a parent/guardian),

My 4 year old son went backwards off his bed Injuring his neck, so we called 999 for the Ambulance service and they were absolutely excellent. They were highly professional, talking through everything they were doing, calm and reassuring. They took great care to make sure he was supported appropriately for the journey to hospital and spoke incredibly well to a scared wee boy. When we arrived at hospital the service was equally outstanding from the team who met the ambulance. No one took any chances. Thankfully it was a muscular injury in the end but I cannot praise the service we received highly enough. Professionalism, expertise, quality of care from start to finish was exceptional.

Response from Pamela McGoldrick, Senior Organisational Development Advisor, Women & Children's Services, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

Dear Thankgoodnessforournhs

Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on the experience for yourself and your son. I am pleased to hear that the injury was not as serious as first thought and hope he is on the mend.

We are delighted that you experienced the high quality care and service that our teams strive to provide for all children and their families. We have passed on your kind words and positive feedback to the team in the Emergency Department and they were delighted to receive this.

Kind Regards

• thankgoodnessforournhs thinks this response is helpful

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear thankgoodnessforournhs

What a scare you must have had! I'm glad your son wasn't seriously injured and hope he is on the mend.

I was really struck by your comments not just about the clinical care by the ambulance crew who responded to your awful situation, but how they took account of the fact they were looking after a scared wee boy, whose parents were no doubt also just as scared.

We've had quite a bit of feedback recently, which shows that talking through what we are doing and reassuring patients and loved ones is, in some ways, just as important as the clinical care we provide. Your experience has shown just how important this is.

Wishing you and your family a relaxing weekend.

• thankgoodnessforournhs thinks this response is helpful