"Phlebotomy - waiting times"

About: Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital (Welwyn Garden City)

Over the past 3 months waiting times seem to be increasing. I visited today and there was an hour and a half wait! The booking in system really needs to. E reassessed. When you book in you're asked to take a seat which I did. I then noticed on numerous occasions that people were returning to the receptionist to say they were back! These people had been called but weren't there at that specific time so the receptionist put there forms into a different tray so when they returned they were put to the top of the pile. This is totally unfair. If you can't be bothered to sit and go away then you miss your turn, you shouldn't get preferential treatment.

The department needs to clarify what service they are actually offering

Response from Queen Elizabeth I I Hospital

It sounds like you attended the blood testing clinic at the New QEII, which is not run by us but rather our colleagues at the Pathology Partnership, the NHS organisation that provides these services across much of Eastern England.

That said, however, we’re sorry to hear of your concerns, which we have shared with the team at the Pathology Partnership.

We're very aware that the demand for blood tests is very high, and sometimes patients do wait for longer than anyone would like. Pathology Partnership staff are working to improve the service, especially in ensuring that they can respond better to demand at different times of the day. If you wish to discuss your concerns with them directly, especially around queue management, just call them on 0333 103 2220 or pathp.servicedesk@nhs.net.