"very slow service in emergency and not organized"
About: Leicester Royal Infirmary / Accident and emergency Leicester Royal Infirmary Accident and emergency Leicester LE1 5WW
Posted by Anonymous
1. I went there for my husband's illness. He was hospitalized in ICU next day with bad pneumonia. First, the reception staff were talking to each other and were not really concentrating on taking urgent clients. I felt they are not understanding our needs and I felt they were a bit rude.
Then the nurse who gave him general health checks was so slow as they were typing everything so slow and we both were so frustrated as he was very ill, then he fainted as I worried and expected.
3. A few Dr's came to take care of him quickly, I was panicking and made a comment (I said 'its bleeding') about the blood I saw when one of the Dr gave him an injection.
Then a nurse came and tried to put me in an another room like I am a criminal when my husband was in emergency.
However, other Dr tried to take care of me as I was panicking. They tried to talk to me and explained what is happening.
Except this doctor's concern
I was not able to cope with this situation as I was shocked with what was happening. Taking care of the family member as well as the emergency clients is important as well but it seems this is lucking.
4. They took us to the place where all the patients carried by ambulances. It took over 5 or 6 hours until they finally find out he had got a nasty pneumonia and carry him to the ICU. During the waiting time, a nurse was setting up the ECG, unbelievably it took a long time to set up as all the cords were messed up and was not ready to use. I was really shocked by this as this is an emergency place.How it could be happened? The nurse was not able to use it so they tried the another ECG then it did not work again ! So they had to set up the third
ECG. I was been patient with this very slow process and I said : it is not working ? then the nurse was offended by my word and told me to step back.
I was very upset and insulted. How they can not be so organized, can not explain what is going on , and apologize about this?
He was critically ill, that's why we are here, it is a essential and very important matter that all the machine and facilities are ready to use. Speed and being organized are very important in emergency situations. I was shocked, upset and very disappointed about their services.
5. The ICU staffs were excellent. They really took care of him well and he recovered.
6. The receptionist on the phone giving the information of the hospital were not very good. They even did not give me the specific information of the opening times of the Jarvis Clinic and hanged up on the phone even I was still talking.
I thought it was very rude.
7. Over all, I do appreciate all the people who was involved with my husband's case however, there are a lot of things need to be worked on the process from the arrival of the A and E until they moved him to the ICU. I hope they take my feedback seriously and improve their services asap as I do not want any clients who are seriously critically ill and his/her family have the same situations we had. Thank you.