"Help with seizures"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

My wife has been suffering from seizures for almost a month now. We are waiting to get to the seizure clinic to see if they will do anything. Yesterday my wife had a seizure at a local shop. She hit her head and the staff phoned an ambulance. So she got to a+e and was taken in. The doctor that saw her and witnessed a seizure said she was able to bring herself out of a seizure and after a blood sugar test sent her home telling her not to come back if she has any more seizures. That was nonsense, my wife has no control over these seizures. If she did I dont think she would allow herself to fall and bounce her head off a solid floor.

So today at our kids parents evening as we were about to leave she went down again. Hitting her head on the floor again. This time things were different. When she came to a few mins later she had another. No one there could bring her out of them. This continued so we phoned an ambulance. By the time it arrived she had had 7 seizures and by the time they got her in the ambulance it was up to 10. The ambulance took her to a+e and that same doctor was on. The doctor did not see her just passed it on that according to the doctor my wife could control these seizures. So they have sent her home. What are we going to do if she has any more and wont stop. The paramedics gave her medication to stop them. We dont have anything at all. This scares the hell out of me.

Response from Sharon Hammell, Head of Corporate Affairs and Engagement, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear MC82

I was really sorry to read about your wife's ill health. This must be a very anxious and frightening time for you, your wife and your family.

I wonder if you might make a GP appointment to see if there is any further support for you, between now and the appointment at the clinic? In the meantime, please do not hesitate to call 999 if your wife experiences further seizures.

Dear MC82,

I would like to add how sorry I am that you and your wife are going through such a difficult and worrying time. I wonder if you have gone back to your GP and if you have now got an appointment for the first seizure clinic. I sincerely hope that you feel things have moved forward somewhat now.

If you would like us to look into the A/E situation, please contact me on 01563 826222 or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk.

Kind regards,