"Very little support or inclusion following..."

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Breast surgery

After being diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in May this year I had a key worker identified to me who I was informed would be there as a point of contact for information and any concerns I had.

It is now October, I have had a mastectomy and have nearly completed chemo and I have not seen anything of them or any other nurse specialist since my pre op.

Everytime I have tried to phone for advice or information the phone either rings with no answer or I get told that the query is have about my treatment plan is nothing to do with them and I need to contact another department.

When I met with the oncologist for the first time they told me that I have a 50% chance of death, now I have no problem with dealing with facts however they got up and left the room and left me to deal with my distressed husband with no proper support.

I was also not offered any information about whether my ability to have children following chemotherapy would be affected and still do not know if this is the case.

Prior to my mastectomy I asked about reconstruction, I was told that I would be eligible for this but given no information on what type of reconstruction surgery this would be only that it would be a long way off.

I still am no clearer on this and my mastectomy was four months ago, I am now looking to try to fund a private consultation to find out more information.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

I am really concerned and very sorry to hear the experience you describe.

I would very much like to hear from you directly, so that I can understand how we can help you to receive the care and support you need. If you feel able, could you contact me (01522 572350 / sarah.ward@ulh.nhs.uk ).

Please accept my sincere apologies, I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Best wishes,