"End of life care"

About: Blackpool Victoria Hospital / Older people's healthcare

My father passed away in Victoria hospital in March and the staff on ward 23 were both respectful and caring. He had spent short periods on ward 23 throughout 2015-2016 and the care he received can not be faulted. He received many scans and treatment for asthma, COPD and other problems and his family were frequently informed of progress. On the day he died,he was in a side ward. Staff removed all unnecessary medical equipment and created a peaceful environment which was much appreciated by his family. They arranged for the chaplain to visit his bedside and his pain was managed effectively. Some of the nursing staff knew him well and we were told that it was a privilege to attend my father and follow his care through to the end. We could not have asked for better care.

Response from Andrew Heath, Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of the care and treatment we were able to provide your father whilst in our care. I would like to offer my condolences for your loss and am assured that you found our Staff to be supportive of your needs as well as those of your late father. I will share your post with the teams involved in your Fathers care who I know will appreciate your kind words and be grateful to know that the care and treatment they provide each and every day is noted. Thank you.

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals has an active patient story programme in which we encourage people that have been in contact with any of our services to provide further experiences of their care so it can share with all Trust staff. If you feel that this is something that you can help with please can you contact Eleanor Walsh on:

Eleanor.Walsh@bfwhospitals.nhs.uk

Thank you once more for taking the time to post your comments.

Warm wishes