"Investigation of dull chest pains"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Cardiology

I was sent immediately to Hairmyres Hospital by my GP for urgent investigation of dull chest pains. I arrived there within a few minutes. I was given clear instructions how to find Ward 3 by a polite young man at the Enquiry Desk. On arriving at Ward 3 I was met by Staff Nurse Stephanie who immediately assessed the situation and set about taking all relevant details. She took my BP and wired me up to an ECG. She then took several small phials of blood painlessly. I genuinely never felt a thing. I was sent to a small waiting room to wait for results. Some time later I was assessed again by the consultant Mr. Vallance who put my mind at rest and told me what would happen next, ie. X Ray and treadmill. After roughly 5 hours I was allowed to leave as nothing untoward had been detected.

It would be good if they could put a water fountain in the waiting room.

Response from Lise Axford, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear macfroggy64

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am pleased to hear that you were treated promptly and efficiently. I will ensure your comments are shared with both Stephanie and Dr Vallance. I will discuss your suggestion of a water cooler with Acting SCN Laura Shankland and together we will look into the provision of refreshments within this area. Thank you for raising the issue.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to be discharged from the hospital and hope you are making a good recovery.

Lise

• macfroggy64 thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by macfroggy64 (the patient)

Thank you Lise for your response.I should point out that myself and the other patients in the waiting room were given refreshments at 2pm and I know that we could have a jug of water .Also I was posted missing when in fact I was having a chest XRay otherwise my time in your care was faultless.

Response from Lise Axford, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear macfroggy64

Thank you for letting me know that yourself and other patients were given refreshments. I am pleased to hear that. I will nonetheless continue my discussions with nursing staff regarding nutritional requirements as this is an important consideration in health care.

I will also investigate as to why you were posted as missing whilst you had an x-ray. I am in the process of introducing a new system for patients that are transferred to radiology. I hope that this change will ensure that a staff are fully informed as to the whereabouts of all patients.

Thank you again for your comments. They are appreciated.

Lise