"Weekend care, not great"

About: Royal Bournemouth General Hospital / Accident and emergency

My husband was brought into Bournemouth A&E on a Saturday following an accident with a broken bone and concussion. When I arrived at reception, not knowing his condition, the A&E receptionist was brusque and unfriendly. They didn't make eye contact, nor show any empathy whatsoever, despite the waiting room being half empty and no queue at reception. The nurse practitioner who treated my husband was excellent, they explained all the procedures and was brisk but friendly. Unfortunately, once their shift ended we were forgotten about and spent several hours waiting for treatment, drugs and to be discharged. Every time that I asked nursing staff for an update, I was told it would be another "few minutes", which it never was of course. Overall, a bad experience at a time of extreme stress and upset..

Response from James Rowden, Patient Engagement and Clinical Liaison, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Anonymous

We are sorry to hear that you had to attend the A&E department last Saturday and that you felt you had a bad experience at a time of extreme stress and upset.

Thank you for highlighting that the nurse practitioner was excellent and we will pass on all your comments to the department and relevant staff.

If you would like to discuss further please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALs) on 01202 704886 who would be happy to arrange a meeting.

Patient Engagement Team