"Elderly dad abandoned on trolley in corridor in A&E"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency

My dad was transferred to A&E at Crosshouse from ACH (without our knowledge). We entered the A&E department to see my day abandoned and alone in the corridor with no means of calling for assistance, he certainly wouldn't have been able to shout. My dad is a frail man in his 80s and had been transferred due to a change in his condition and required surgical review. To see him abandoned in a corridor certainly doesn't live up to what I think is NHS Ayrshire and Arrans values of caring, safe and respectful. I am very disappointed and very upset to have experienced this and angry that my dad was just pushed to the side. I am well aware the NHS is very busy and often under pressure to meet govt targets, however we need to remember it deals with people not targets. I would have been more understanding had the area he was then moved to was full, however there were at least 3/4 empty bays.

My dad has had numerous admissions to A&E over the last year and I have never once felt the need to complain, as I said I appreciate it is a very busy area, however I feel I have to express my concern and utter disappointment. I believe he may have only been there approx 30mins but that doesn't make it right, he still looked abandoned.

Dear JSL,

I am really sorry that this was you and your Dad's experience and yes, this must have been disappointing, upsetting and angering. Please pass my apologies to your Dad. I will raise this with the management team for their consideration too. I appreciate that not everyone who posts a story is looking for an investigation or explanation as to why it happened but if you would like that, please contact me on 01563 826222 or Eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk and we will look into it for you.

I hope your Dad is on the mend and hopefully home, or soon to be home,

best wishes,