"Mixed results"

About: City Hospital campus / Respiratory medicine

My mum has been on Fleming Ward for far too long although she is medically fit. Staff not being invited to and not turning up for meetings has contributed to this. However, once the right staff have discussed the issues around capacity we should finally be getting her the care she actually needs after discharge.

Some staff are efficient and helpful whilst others display a lack of care and attention, for example messing with their phones whilst asking patients if they have any pain, clearly not interested in the answer at all. Unacceptable level of professionalism. Lack of interest in and compassion for elderly patients with dementia - yes they are difficult and demanding - but you are in a caring profession. PALS no help at all as usual.

Response from Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you’re unhappy with certain aspects of your mum’s care. The devices you have seen nursing staff use could be mobile devices our staff use to record patients’ observations as we now do this electronically instead of on paper. They do look like phones and I apologise if this wasn’t made clear when you were on the ward.

I would like to discuss your concerns about staff attitudes and care in more detail. I can also share any feedback you have regarding our PALS service with the PALS and complaints management on your behalf.

If you wish to, you can email me on helen.gregory@nuh.nhs.uk or call me on 0115 9691169 ext. 75031.

Kind regards,