"I have been able to open up more"

About: John Taylor Hospice

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

A counsellor at the hospice suggested I try art therapy. I was apprehensive and nervous to begin with. I remember saying to the counsellor that I wasn’t very good at drawing and she reassured me that I didn’t need to be a fantastic artist.

I am so glad I put my worries aside and gave it a go. Art therapy has given me ways of expressing myself and my emotions without even realising it. I have been able to share some of the harder emotions through a range of different ways and using different materials.

I feel much more relaxed in that environment knowing it isn’t all about talking and being asked questions. I don’t think I would be where I am today without giving art therapy a chance. I have been able to open up more and express feelings I didn’t realise I was bottling up. I am so grateful to the team for all they have done. Thank you John Taylor Hospice.

Response from Diane Parkes, Head of Brand & Media, Brand & Media, John Taylor Hospice

Many thanks for sharing your experiences of how our art therapy was able to support you. Our Well-Being Team offers a range of different therapies depending on what works best for people including art therapy and counselling both pre and post bereavement.

Well-Being support is available to everyone we care for and their families.

For more information please see www.johntaylorhospice.org.uk/care-and-support/counselling-and-well-being