"Day Treatment Unit"

About: Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

I'd like to tell you about my experience when I had an operation on my ankle yesterday.

The staff on the day unit were friendly and efficient.

The ward was clean and well organised.

I was lucky enough to be first on the list and only needed a local anaesthetic to remove a long screw from my ankle, which was part of the metalwork that had been inserted last December when I broke my ankle in 3 places. The theatre team were brilliant, they allowed me to sit up and watch the operation, I could have laid down and had it screened.

It was fascinating to watch the team at work.

Pop music from my era was played and the whole experience was as good as it could be.

The surgeon gave me advice on how to deal with aftercare.

I was taken straight back to the ward, where I was given a drink and offered food, they checked my blood pressure and pulse and sent me home.

I arrived at 7:30 and left by 10:15. I had been in continuous pain from my ankle, it doesn't hurt anymore. All I can feel is soreness at the operation site, this is due to new bone being chipped away to expose the head of the screw. I'm really pleased with the whole experience.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your comments and it will be nice for our staff to receive your positive comments

Regards