About: Queen Margaret Hospital / Endoscopy

I am quite experienced with this procedure having had a good few of them in the past at the Western General and have had little or no after effects - the preparation day beforehand is always the worst part of it! .

My colonoscopy last week at the QMH was the first of my "5 yearly" follow ups. The only down side this time was that I had quite bad pain in my bowel for a few hours afterwards due to trapped wind. This was eventually relieved in the early evening by several bouts of major flatulence over a period of about 30 minutes.

I could not fault the service or staff. Everything was handled in a friendly, polite, professional manner.

Response from Gillian Ogden, Clinical Nurse Manager, Planned Care, NHS Fife

Dear Mon001

Thank you for your feedback about your endoscopy experience. I will gladly pass on your kind comments to our staff regarding your care.

I was sorry to read that you had some wind pain after your colonoscopy. Air is put into your bowel during the procedure to allow the endoscopist to see all the parts of your bowel properly. Regrettably some of the air can be left after the procedure, hence the flatulence that you have described.

If you feel it would be helpful to speak to me about your experience, give me a call on 01592 643355 ext 20148.

Thanks again for posting your comments and I hope that you have recovered well.

Gill Ogden