"all patients should be provided with the means of maintaining dignity"

About: Gartnavel General Hospital / Medical Oncology

I have been attending the Breast Clinic annually for many years.

This year the clinic was taken by a Clinical Nurse Specialist, at Gartnavel OPD. They did not pronounce my name correctly - no apology. I was then asked if the Clinical Genetics department had contacted me re a risk assessment the previous year. They had, approx 10 months before, and I had returned the relevant documentation. There was no update in my records to which I was asked twice if I was sure that I had returned the risk assessment questionnaire! I felt very disappointed, and thought that it was very patronising and no apology re this on behalf of the organisation.

Then, I was to undress for my routine examination. No privacy and no gown offered. I believe that no one should have to undress in front of a health care professional unless they require and ask for assistance, and that all patients should be provided with the means of maintaining dignity and therefore they are only exposed for a minimal period of time. This makes me worry for those who are unable to advocate for themselves.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear River

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. There are a few concerns that you have raised here that occurred during your recent appointment in Gartnavel General Hospital.

Firstly, I am sorry that a member of our staff did not pronounce your name properly and that an apology for that was not given. Secondly, I am sorry that you were questioned more than once about whether you had returned the risk assessment. Lastly, you are correct that you should have been provided with privacy or offered a gown when having to undress for your examination. All patients should be provided with dignity during their care and I am sorry that this did not happen during your examination.

I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the service.

Best wishes