"Lack of compassion from nurse"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Ear, Nose and Throat United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Went in for an emergency operation that I'd been waiting for for months.

After coming round from the general anaesthetic I asked a nurse for some water, my throat was sore from having a tube shoved down it, she said she'd be right back. 20 minutes later I asked another nurse for some water, she glared at me and said "I'm busy I'll get it when I'm done". I said I had asked already, the discomfort of trying to talk was immense. The nurses response was aggressive "well you didn't ask me". The chap in the next bed said " trip to pals then? " I waited another 20 minutes in that state before I discharged myself, the second nurse never came back and was staring at me from the other side of the ward. She even grunted at me as I left.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Spongeklompf,

I’m very sorry to hear you had a poor experience on Clayton Ward. It is unacceptable that you were not given a jug of water as soon as you arrived on the ward.

Could you email me or phone me with your details so that I can look into this further?

Kind regards,

Averil Adams,

Acting Sister, Clayton Ward.

averil.adams@ulh.nhs.uk Tel: 01522 573777’