"Delay in removal of right foot big toe nail"

About: Bourtreehill Medical Practice

Original visit to doctor in June 2016. He advised referral for nail removal on that date.

No word from Podiatry Services. Second visit to doctor on in August 2016 when nail was causing further trouble. Subsequent referral resulted in appointment at Bourtreehill Medical Centre for, I assumed, removal of nail. This appointment was in late September 2016.

I was led to believe the referral had been triaged for assessment only instead of for surgery as my doctor had requested. It appears I now have to go on the surgery waiting list, 5 weeks later than I should have been and more than 3 months since I hoped to have been.

This is an urgent, necessary procedure to alleviate a condition which has caused much pain and infection already and the delay is unacceptable.

Dear Beeny,

I am not sure why you have experienced the delays but it seems a bit harsh to have to wait so long and for that, I am sorry. My only experience of a big to problem was being hit by a hockey ball and that was bad enough, you have my sympathy, it must be very painful.

I wonder if it is fair to say that communication has not been at its best here. If you would like to contact me and provide me with your details, I can look into it for you. If you wish, please contact me on eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or 01563 826222.

Kind regards,

• Beeny thinks this response is helpful

Response from Rhona Allardice, Service Lead, Podiatry, NHS Ayrshire and Arran

Dear Beeny,

I am sorry your expectations have not been met. Please contact Eunice who will pass on your details to me. I have spoken with Eunice and we are both keen to resolve this for you.

Rhona Allardice