"Unprofessional pre assessment department"

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital

I was initially given an appointment at Washington spire hospital but due to the nature and complexity of my needs I was transferred to Sunderland hospital. I was given a date for my operation over a weekend and it was arranged the week before admission to attend the pre assessment department. What an awful and degrading Experience!

Before the assessment was undertaken I was effectively told that the operation would be cancelled due to the complexity of my needs. Needs which were known prior to the assessment, the nurse who undertook the assessment was rude, patronising and I left feeling like I had been treated like a child. Whilst I was having my bloods taken the nurses were shouting over the closed curtains about some poor guy who was having his tongue removed and how sad it was due to him only being young. A completely inappropriate conversation and unprofessional behaviour. What a nightmare Experience!

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

Dear sir/madam. The experience you've described is unfortunately not what City Hospitals Sunderland would expect on behalf of a patient. We do take matters such as this very seriously, and can be discussed more personally. Our Help and Advice Service are in place for when issues need addressing; they can be reached at Helpandadviceservice@chsft.nhs.uk or by Freephone 0800 5876513.