"Horrible experience. Stay away!"

About: Kingston Hospital / Maternity care

If anyone is thinking of coming to this hospital- don't. I had an awful induction experience here and was left to suffer on an ante natal ward for 2 days. I waited ages to be seen, the most was 17 hours to be seen by a doctor. Then when I finally saw a great doctor, the midwives refused to follow their instructions to be transferred to the labour ward and claimed the ward was full for 2 days. (Which is a complete lie- as mothers walking in at 4cm were still being admitted on to the ward). They ignored me and claimed I was lying when I told them I was in severe pain. The only moment they suddenly showed concern is when I contacted west Middlesex hospital to ask if they could take me- this hospital then called the ante natal ward and questioned why they did not have space for me on the ward. But still- no transfer. I waited for hours and hours for any form of pain relief- while in labour! Then they finally decided to examine me and found I was 8cm dilated- yes, I was still on the ante natal ward with no epidural (which was clearly stated in my birth plan and which I kept asking for). Within minutes I was moved to labour ward- suddenly there was space?!

Then a student mid wife took over my care (also said in my birth plan that i did not want students)- ignored again! Then I ask for an epidural and I'm told it's too late. I gave birth 5 hours later so could have easily had one. My baby required resuscitation at birth. I highly urge you to stay away from this hospital.

Response from Kingston Hospital

Thank you for your feedback, we are really sorry to hear about your experience on the Maternity Unit. Please send more details to comms@kingstonhospital.nhs.uk so we can look into this further for you.