"Staff were outstanding"

About: Borders General Hospital / General Medicine

Following major surgery at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for a triple A, I was subject to a suspected infection and complete loss of magnesium calcium and sodium in my system. This resulted in re-admission to ERI initially and then transfer to the new unit at B. G. H. nearer my home. Treatment there was done daily as an out patient, and involved I. V. antibiotics administered via a PICC line over a period of 4 weeks. All staff at Borders General were in my opinion outstanding giving a great level of care far and beyond the norm. Many had little experience of PICC lines and again done a fantastic job. This new unit is a major gain for people of the area and needs to be developed further with future expansion and development in this rural area.

Response from Lynn Mccallum, Consultant Physician. Head of Service for Unscheduled Care, Acute Medicine, NHS Borders

Dear Colint,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience in Acute Medicine at the Borders General Hospital. As you have mentioned, this is a fledgling service that has very recently started and so I am delighted that you had such a positive experience. We hope to continue to develop this service in the future with a view to delivering care in an outpatient setting and keeping people at home where ever possible.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and I wish you the very best for the future.

• colint thinks this response is helpful