"Worst experience we ever had"

About: Sandwell General Hospital

Got there with a 5 day old baby as he lost a bit more than he should. We do appreciate shortage of staff and delays in getting treatment but this was just disgusting, waiting for two hours to get sterilizer or over an hour to get back bottle of breast milk that they took to fridge when baby is due to feed is just defending the object why we were there. when we asked if we can be transferred to another hospital doctor was literally shouting at us. Besides that I was there to help with translation between parent and doctor. The doctor told me to shut up. Then told that baby is unwell and he is staying here whether we want or no. turned around and as the doctor was going out of assessment unit said now you translate them. No thank you please or sorry. Never ever seen this king of rudeness in my life... And by working as HCA I do know what is zero tolerance policy. And I can't see how it has to work just one way in this hospital? How can somebody like that treat babies or kids? With things like this I don't understand how they passed CQC.

Response from Sandwell General Hospital

Dear Julie, I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. This is not the standard of care that we expect and I would like to make sure we don’t treat people like this.

I am also sorry that you feel you were not being treated with respect, especially when you helped to translate for the parent. So that I can look into this can you please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at swb-tr.pals@nhs.net with your details? One of our advisers will be able to talk to you about your concerns. Best regards, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.