"I just want the surgery done"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / Trauma & orthopaedics

(as a service user),

After spinal surgery in March last year, I have been left in debilitating pain, further MRI scans revealed I needed more surgery, but unfortunately for me my current surgeon is retiring, I was given a pre op assessment in April this year. At this assessment, I was asked if I had any holidays booked? I stated I had one booked for early June but was assured this was fine, I then received a letter saying my surgery had to be on or before the 23/6/16.

I phoned the surgeons secretary and she said I had to cancel my holiday or the surgery as they are very strict that everything has be done in a twelve week period, I reluctantly cancelled my surgery, I was added to the list again and then received another letter stating my surgery had to be done on or before 13/9/16 but this hasn't happened either and with regular phone calls to my surgeons secretary it looks like they can't give me a date.

I'm very dissatisfied with this as since my last surgery I have been left in debilitating pain and with poor mobility. I worked right up to the day before my surgery and now I have been paid off from my job as I'm no longer fit to do it. I just want the surgery done and then try and rebuild my life.

Response from Lisa Ramsay, Patient Experience Public Involvement Team Support, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

Dear Annie359

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion. I am sorry to read about what has happened with your surgery and that you are still waiting for date. I am also sorry to read about how much pain you are in too.

I would like to be able to look into this further for you and provide you with an update on what you have raised here. So that I can do that, would you please email me at Lisa.Ramsay@ggc.scot.nhs.uk with some personal details?

Best wishes